Author: Gina Basinger Peterson
•8:48 PM
Alright well I guess it's time for an update about our new adventures in Oklahoma and since I don't really know where to start, I guess I'll just start from Day 1 of arrival. We got into Norman and went straight to meet our landlord at his work where we picked up our key and learned that due to a few unlucky circumstances, we would not be able to move in until the next day. Not exactly what we wanted to hear, but our landlord was extremely nice about it and put us up in a nice hotel. It wasn't until we started driving to look at our place that I noticed how shockingly pretty Norman is. It's so green and my most favorite part, there are so many trees and at a lot of spots the trees hang over the road creating this beautiful canopy. I loved it more than Nate probably because it reminded me of WI.

Anywho, we weren't able to move our stuff in until the day after we arrived, giving us a lot of free time to get some things done we needed to like become residents of OK and go grocery shopping, etc. It was nice to get to drive around the city even though I'm sure we will never get used to the layout...they love one way streets here. So, we got settled in and a few days later experienced our first BIG thunderstorm here. I forgot how much I love/miss real thunderstorms.

Since we both don't have jobs we decided to go walk around the OU campus and get Nate his student ID so he can be official. I LOVE the campus. It's so gorgeous and beats out every other campus. The buildings have amazing architecture and give it this almost medieval feel. I don't know it's hard to explain. But it's gorgeous. While we were on campus we went into the social work building just to look around and boy was timing right because we literally ran into the MSW program coordinator and by the end of talking to her she said she would do everything she could to switch him to the full-time program. We loved hearing that. We also found this awesome duck pond that makes the one at BYU laughable. It's gorgeous and while it doesn't smell the best we had a great time walking around and taking in the green. We also found this great animal shelter that treats their dogs so much better than the humane society and we get to walk the dogs and play with them for as long as we want and it's wonderful and I love it.

It didn't take Nate long to find a job...a great job. He will be doing almost exactly what he wants (which is individual and group counseling with troubled kids ages 5 to 12) all because the director of the treatment center was so impressed with him. He hasn't started yet though because he is waiting to get his background check from UT. I'm very proud of him needless to say.

A few days about we experienced our first tornado threat. When we heard the sirens we decided to go outside and look and as we opened our door we saw all our neighbors hurriedly jump in their cars and leave? They clearly know about a tornado shelter that we do not know about.

I'm sure since this post is so long and pretty uninteresting no one will read it, but I'll post pictures that will basically summarize what I wrote.

Here are what the pictures show.
1. The Welcome to Norman sign as when we first got to the city...we were cleary very excited.
2. Us getting our Oklahoma license plate. We are officially Sooners!
3. Me playing with one of the dogs that we got to walk. I loved this dog. He would walk a few steps and then stop to be petted (is that a word?)
4. The duck pond with part of OU in the background.
5. Our place! we are the one on the left. We <3 our apartment. 6. Last but not least, an OU chair we found while shopping for our couches. No we did not buy it, but Nate loved the chair.






|
This entry was posted on 8:48 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On May 27, 2011 at 9:15 PM , Christa said...

You may happy/surprised to hear that I read all of your post. I have to admit that I usually skim blog posts if they are super long. You should feel honored I guess. I'm kidding. I like hearing about your adventures in OK. Camron and I are eager for our own adventures in that part of the country, despite the tornadoes.

 
On May 28, 2011 at 8:59 AM , Gina Basinger Peterson said...

I am extremely surprised, yet very honored. haha. We would be so excited if y'all (i'm trying to fit in) move to Dallas! We could partayyy!

 
On May 30, 2011 at 7:44 AM , Amber said...

I am so happy for you guys being out there! And I had no idea that Nate got a job so easy, that is awesome. I cannot wait to visit!

 
On May 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM , mikey and kimby said...

Oh, how fun. I'm a bit jealous. We're talking about taking a road trip this summer and Mike mentioned visiting you guys and that may just be exactly what we'll have to do!